welcome
Dragon Age: Absolution is an alternate universe RPG based on BioWare's video game and novel series. DA: Absolution is rated 18+ for mature content, and played in a highly literate third-person perspective. All DA concepts and pictures belong to Bioware and their respective artists.

Please register with proper capitalization and your character's full name.

updates
10.5 - Absolution is open, active and welcomes you! What has changed in the past few months? A civil war has started in Ferelden! Seekers have arrived in Kirkwall, and tensions are higher than ever. And pirates? Come, join the fun!
staff

stats
WARDENS
4 male
4 female
CHANTRY
3 male
5 female
APOSTATES
3 male
3 female
CROWS
2 male
1 female
NOBLES
1 male
0 female
FREELANCERS
2 male
1 female
UNALIGNED
0 male
1 female
DALISH
0 male
2 female
QUNARI
0 male
1 female
Quote of the Week-

❝There has yet to be a thing that I have wanted that gold cannot buy. Drink. Food. New armour. New blades. Boys. Girls. Gold is what makes the world turn, princess, whether you want to admit it or not."
Orion Stormborn[src]

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Business and Pleasure, The Hanged Man, Orion
Hex
 Posted: May 10 2014, 06:09 PM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

A lantern flickered in the cold of the night, illuminating the gaunt and battered stone walls that surrounded a young woman. Blonde, her hair let loose to the slight draft the cracks in the half-heartedly painted walls let in. A cracked mirror revealed a radiance she never suspected she carried, and a dangerous glint in her stormy blues. Regret? Disgust? More disdain than anything else. Her own ruthlessness had surprised her.

The blood seemed to blend in the the crimson of her dress. If not for the bucket of water in the corner her hands would be stained in the stuff.

Just as the corpse was. The corpse on the bed.

His name was Trystan. Ser Trystan. It was this night that Hex had killed her first friend. A handsome young thing, he couldn't have been a day past twenty-five, with a hulking figure, a full head of thick blonde hair and eyes of a soft violet that were thankfully closed. The first time she'd taken a life, outright with her knife...his eyes had stayed open and she'd thrown up all over herself. Luckily that was a year ago. The amount of lives she'd been forced to take, was going to show her business being too personal. Too dangerous.

Off-duty, he'd came to see Hex for business. The regular report. Her second last insider, the Seeker had caught all the others. A disarming smile, and our of that armour...she should have known better. Better than to trust, than to let down her guard. Of course he wanted something from her. Everybody wanted something from her, and it hurt.

And what would Anders think? As if he and Justice needed any more provocation...The thought made her pace, her footsteps heavy and a grown cross her face. Cleaning up would be easy, she'd just slip some sovereigns over the counter. It had worked in the past, she happened to be quite a well liked and valued patron. But Anders...

I'm going to stop thinking about him. A drink, I'll get a drink and then I'll leave. Hex thought to herself, sheathing the knife she still gripped with white knuckles. Back to that hidden place where it belonged.

Trystan....

It was decided. She definetly needed a drink. Perhaps, after the initial exhilaration there was indeed regret. ***

With the intention of settling the matter of discretion quietly, Hex moved swiftly down the hall, leaving behind the locked room containing her latest dirty secret. At this hour, the bar was bustling. One could even say the filthy place was in it's prime. Sloshing ale, card games and the usual screaming and accusations of cheating, drunken arm wrestling, half-sober minstrels and that whining bar mistress she's learnt to admire. Norah.

Stepping lightly, she dodged and tripped her way to the bar and to Corff.

"Corff, my friend, there's a little mess in the room I hired, though this should well compensate. I am so dreadfully sorry, it was a matter of...self defence," she spoke softly, taking a seat next to a stranger and sliding several sovereigns over the counter. "An ale would be lovely," she added, with a sweet smile. Eliciting a shaking of the head from the bartender, and a slight smile if she was reading it right. At least it was nothing condemning.

Perhaps to watch would take her mind off things. The drunken spectacle never ceased to amaze her, such strange words and sights, all of these foul abrasive smells. Wicked grace, played by two drunken figures in the corner. The minstrel's fingers were none to nimble. Too bright. It was too damned bright in her eyes, the true squalor of the place was revealed. The Hanged Man was always better in the dark...The in darkness, comes death, just as it had that night.

"He should have known better than to mix business with pleasure," Hex thought, or rather she muttered to herself. Aloud. The whole thinking aloud thing had stayed with her, though she tried to quell it the best she could. Realising she'd said as much, she blushed, and rather hoped no one in the room full of perfect strangers had noticed. The perfect stranger next to her might have...

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Orion Stormborn
 Posted: May 12 2014, 05:24 AM
27 posts
Antivan crow
Group Icon

Another night alone in a city that was not his own, in a country that was not his own - not that Orion had any particular pride towards being from Antiva, but at least he always understood what was going on there, unlike when he was abroad as he currently was. And worst of all, he was between jobs, waiting to hear back about his next assignment from the Crows, and to receive his payment for a successful completion of the last one. Admittedly he was running a bit low on gold at the moment, having squandered most of it away on drink and gambling, as per usual. What was gold if not a means to pleasure, after all? And Orion quite enjoyed pleasure in life; but that in turn meant that he constantly needed gold. A lot of gold. But it also meant that even without much weight to his coin purse at he moment, he still found himself at the Hanged Man having a few drinks all the same. The tavern was quickly becoming his usual place he spent time, and he was starting to recognize some of the faces there, and a few were probably beginning to recognize his as well.

Tonight though, as he finished of his second tankard of a dark mead he had never had before with a strong flavour and a thick consistency, the person that appeared beside him was not one that was familiar - and he definitely would have remembered her. It was a woman, hair golden blonde, features young and very beautiful. Probably a few years younger than himself but there was nothing wrong with that, age had not yet ruined a pretty face as it sadly devastated everyone eventually. She spoke to the barkeep by name, showing that despite Orion not recognizing her, she was not new to the establishment, slipping a few coin his way along with an apology and an explanation. A bit of a mess? Self defence? It didn't take a sharp mind to put together the pieces of that puzzle and determine at least vaguely what had happened - but lucky for Orion, he did have a sharp mind, so he figured it out quite quickly. Had his pretty young woman murdered someone right here at the tavern, right while he was sitting here drinking? Or well. Maybe murder was too strong of a word. She had said self defence after all, though her pause before her word choice had not gone unnoticed by the skilled assassin.

Kirkwall truly was full of surprising people with unexpected stories, though Orion had learned long ago that even the most beautiful people could be the most deadly of killers. Had he not learned that lesson young, he would have been dead long ago. Or at least left without his manhood, which in his opinion, was a fate far worse than death.

The barkeep didn't seem to mind the woman's 'accident' as Orion carefully weighed his reaction, and the Crow found himself wondering if perhaps this was a repeat incident. Or maybe this woman was just that good of a friend with the barkeep, that was also a possibility, but the first seemed more likely, more dangerous, and thus, more exciting so that was what he decided to accept as true. Orion continued to watch the woman out of his peripheral vision, running the tip of his finger along the rim of his empty tankard unconsciously, his fingerless gloves allowing his exposed digit to feel every imperfection in the surface of the cup. He wondered vaguely for a moment how many lips had been on it before his own, and when it had last been washed, but decided his thoughts were better spent on another subject. And then his 'companion' spoke, and though her voice was soft, Orion heard every word since he had been focusing most of his attention to her. Her blush at having spoken allowed also did not go unnoticed.

Time to cue a smirk from the Antivan man. "Ah, but it's so much fun to mix the two," Orion finally spoke himself, doing nothing to hide his smooth Antivan accent as he turned his head to fully face the woman. Even in the half-light of the tavern his nearly black eyes glinted a bit behind dark-ringed eyes. Even without his accent his look was clearly Antivan, from his clothes to his hair to his skin. And he saw no reason to hide it. "Though it sounds like it didn't end so well for your friend this time, eh? Not too bad of an end though, since the last thing I'm sure he saw was your pretty face." And now time for a quick wink, ah yes, that'll do nicely right there. "Besides, I'm sure it is quite a pleasure to do business with you all the same." Orion never was one for subtly, except when it came to assassins. But as far as social settings, he really didn't have a lot of limits.

PMEmail
^
Hex
 Posted: May 14 2014, 06:35 AM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

Oh damnable perfect strangers...

A hundred curses coursed through Hex's mind, though at once she dismissed them and turned to face this stranger. Whom she had a feeling wouldn't stay a stranger for long. After all, he was so dreadfully Antivan. So wonderfully Antivan, with the complexion a d the accent and all of the mystery. Typical Antivans characteristics seemed to be so charming, whereas Orlais boasted large upturned noses and a innate sense of pomp. Adrienne of course had neither, simply a delicate complexion and a traceable accent. 

This man, whoever he was, had a dark look in his eyes. His attire and all things included, she guessed mercenary. Obviously her mind flitted dreamily to the deadly romantic notion that he could have been a Crow. Long had she dreamt of meeting one, what stories they would have to tell. Though quickly she shook these thoughts off, deciding to speak with the stranger.

"Are you threatening me? Or flirting with me? Or both? I cannot quite tell," she asked, unable to hide her curiosity. Such an innate feature, her ocean-coloured eyes practically sparkled with it.

"That's not to say you're wrong, my observant friend. Business and pleasure can mix well," she thought of a specific success story that near had her blushing again, "But not this time. Friends don't attack friends, that's not how the game should work," she offered her opinion, not seeing the point in covering up. He'd obviously heard her exchange, and obviously figured out how to make her blush...so she had attempted to brush aside the 'pretty face' comment, guessing that it was simply...Antivan-ness?

A quick sip, then of course more words. Crossing her legs she turned to face him, fully.

"And I suppose it can be a pleasure to do business with me, so long as one is more interested in my gold than my...well, other things." Don't look now Hex, but your innocence is showing... There was a certain want to slap herself from slipping. These days there were several cracks in her mask. 

"In suppose it would be wise to take my leave of you now that you know my dirty secret, but I'm far too curious to do Perhaps the next round is on me. Norah, another...whatever he was drinking for my friend here, put it on my tab." she called to the barmaid as Corff was sufficiently pre-occupied with her mess. The Maker had seemingly answered her half-hearted prayers for a distraction, by granting her newfound test subject 'companion'. Was it going to be a long night? Perhaps. Probably. 

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Orion Stormborn
 Posted: May 18 2014, 06:13 AM
27 posts
Antivan crow
Group Icon

Wow, this girl was a bit confusing. Orion could see the curiosity genuinely sparkling in those blue eyes of hers as she replied to him with a question, and she somehow rubbed him as a bit naive, or perhaps even...innocent? Could that be possible? But if she was innocent, it was only to some things and certainly not to others, and that was why it was so confusing. It was overwhelmingly clear that she had just killed someone, which wasn't a past time of someone of innocence and virtue. And yet her reactions to him were very...odd. Unexpected. Maybe she was just toying with him, being a bit coy and testing him. He didn't mind that, and he could play right along with her if that was what she wanted. Life was all just a game to him anyway, and either way, he wasn't going to stop now that he had gotten started.

As for an actual response to her question, the assassin grinned quite boyishly, looking a few years younger for a moment, though the dark look in his eyes didn't disappear for a moment. "Most certainly a bit of both," he then replied to her with a shrug, propping his elbow up on the counter of the bar and resting his head on a closed fist as he watched her casually. Well, not quite so casually in reality, but he feigned the appearance of it at the very least. "Flirting more so though, admittedly, since you haven't given me much reason to threaten you and that's not really my style anyway. I can't really tell yet though - is it going well?" His grin widened then and he laughed a bit. It probably was not going very well at all, but he hoped he would catch her off guard a bit with his directness maybe. That was at least his intention. And her answer wouldn't make him stop either way anyway.

And then, even more surprisingly, the strange young woman actually sort of opened up to Orion a bit. That was certainly unexpected. Sure, she didn't say any details, but she seemed to have a lot on her mind and was speaking it, talking about friends and trust and all sorts of deep issues. Alarms were going off in Orion's head that this wasn't a safe conversation and he was already in too deep but he was unwilling to be defeated this early. Maybe what she had just done in some unnamed room in this inn was weighing on her more heavily than it had first appeared to, and she was a bit compromised right now or something. That could be both good and bad. Orion wasn't one for comforting words though, but he also wasn't one for silence. "Sounds like he wasn't really your friend anyway," Orion then observed carefully, his words only slightly more guarded than usual but it still made a bit of a difference in how he spoke, "Friends are quite a dangerous hobby indeed." He finished then with a curt nod before taking a deep drink of his ale, slamming it back down onto the counter quite definitively.

She turned to face him more fully, so Orion gave her the respect of sitting up a bit straighter at least as his eyes met hers. Her next statement almost caused him to laugh, but he bit it back quickly, instead chewing on his bottom lip for a moment before replying. Interested in 'other things?' Just who was this woman anyway? Who even said things like that, in that way, in a place like this to someone like him? "I don't doubt that for a moment," Orion finally replied after he was certain opening his mouth wouldn't result in laughing - he couldn't let this end so soon by doing something ridiculous like that that would probably have her leaving in a huff, she was far too intriguing and fun to play with at this point - "Gold is certainly a nice start at least," he then continued, holding her gaze intently with his own, his glinting a bit and betraying that he was thinking about far more than he was saying to her. He would definitely be returning to this conversation later if he had the pleasure to continue to talk to this girl long enough.

Things just kept getting more surprising because the next thing the rogue knew, the woman was buying him his next drink. He certainly wasn't going to say no to that, especially with how light his coin purse currently was until he got his next job and payment. "I'm sure you have far dirtier secrets than that one," Orion chimed back at her a bit playfully, clearly quite pleased when his next drink was sat in front of him. Money, sex, and alcohol - his three favourite things in life that would also probably lead to his death, but it would be one without regret at least. And he now had one of the three to start the night at least. "I have to ask though, just what is it you're curious about?" he then asked her, taking a slow first drink of the new tankard while he waited for her response, letting his own genuine curiosity play across his features.

PMEmail
^
Hex
 Posted: May 25 2014, 10:11 PM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

Whether it was grief, shock, anger or exhaustion that was messing with her senses, Adrienne could hardly tell. All there was to tell was lack of first impressions. For the life of her she could not figure out his game. And she wasn't really in the mood to play.

"I am a terrible judge of such things," the Orlesian in her accent made a brief return, though she fought it off. "Though we are both still here. That's a good sign. Or is it? I really am clueless about such things," she rambled, recalling the time where about as much had been said in jest. Oh, Anders. She was blushing again.

Friends. Depending on which way one looked at it, you could have said that Hex had many friends. Or few. Naturally she thought the latter, counting only her closest circle as friends. Trystan had been on the precipice of this circle, edging his way in with each easy smile. But this stranger was definetly right.

"No, I suppose he wasn't. My mistake," she said with a sigh, with a small shrug of her shoulders and a sip of her drink, eyes glistening, though the spark was dampened by the weight she carried. It would not be wise to let her regret show, to let the dead make a mess of her mind. So she tried not to. Quite the trial. "Alas the risk of friendship is ofttimes worth the reward," she remarked with a small smile, thinking of her closest and most beloved friends.

"Gold is a vice of many a man. But money can't buy everything, or so I have found," she spoke softly, bells of warning ringing just a little as such a statement as his was accompanied by an intense gaze. Hex's paranoia set in a little, as naturally she completely missed it's suggested meaning. Most 'good' men weren't driven by money, in her experience. Was he a mercenary? Maybe he'd been h- Wait. What do you know about good men? Your best friend is a Tevinter blood mage and well...the man you love is an abomination. A small voice in her mind got its opinion out. Closer to the truth than the girl would have admitted. It was decided that the paranoia would be brushed aside. One thing her weeks all shut up in her house taught her - there is such a thing as being too careful.

What could it hurt to live a little? Secrets. Secrets were everywhere, was there a single person she knew she'd never lied to?

"Oh and you're not wrong. About secrets. People of my profession tend to have more than their fair share of dirty secrets," she admitted, a slightly playful tone to her voice. If you'd have asked her, she would have denied it. But it was there all the same. A subconscious testament to her insatiable curiosity. A subject it seems the man before her wanted to broach. Re-crossing her legs, a broad smile flashed across her face.

"What am I curious about?" Hex could not help but to let slip a small laugh. The correct answer would be absolutely everything. She broke their gaze, looking briefly to the filthy wooden floor before raising her eyes back as she spoke, a slight bit of shyness creeping into her tone. "Well I should like to know your name, for a start. How can one be not be curious about a well-dressed, bold Antivan such as yourself in an establishment such as this. I imagine you'd have many a story to tell." With that typical faraway look, the essence of curiosity itself in her eyes, she looked the picture of innocence in her blood red dress. In a way, she was. Then again, she most certainly wasn't.

What a walking contradiction dear Hex is. Does she know it?

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Orion Stormborn
 Posted: Jun 11 2014, 07:53 PM
27 posts
Antivan crow
Group Icon

Orion was nothing if not extremely observant - after all, with his rash decision making and dangerous lifestyle and profession, he certainly would not still be alive if he wasn't. And thus when the young lady answered him, he noted that little slip of her accent with only slightly narrowed eyes to betray he had heard anything at all. Orlesian. She was Orlesian, or at least had clearly grown up there. How curious. Even more curious was the fact that she was trying to hide her accent - hide her past, hide her identity, something like that, that was the only reason anyone went through such an effort. After all, Orion let his Antivan accent be heard by everyone because he didn't have anything to hide about it. But this awkward, dangerous girl, there was something more to her. How intriguing indeed.

And then she was blushing a bit again, stammering a bit oddly about how she wasn't a good judge of if someone was doing well with flirting with her, and Orion couldn't help but grin at her struggle. It was a bit strange, and he wasn't used to this sort of reaction, but he didn't mind it either. Actually, it was a bit amusing, and made the game quite fun. Just how far could he push this girl before she left or slapped him or something? Might as well find out. "Really?" he responded in feigned surprise, eyebrows raised, "You must be joking. How can it be that no one ever flirts with a face like yours? I find that very hard to believe." On one hand, he was certainly exaggerating to see how she would react, but on the other, he was genuinely surprised. If she spent much time in places like the Hanged Man, which apparently she did since she knew the barkeep, it would be odd if men were not approaching her and saying all manner of things.

Unless she was just genuinely oblivious. What an existence.

She did seem genuinely troubled by whatever it was she had done in the room there at the tavern before meeting Orion; it was clear from her words, her expression, her tone, everything. Orion wasn't one for comfort though, especially to a stranger no matter what the reward might have been, so he simply shrugged. "You made a mistake trusting someone - that's part of the risk of doing that, I guess," he replied quite casually, taking another sip of his own drink - it somehow tasted better because she had bought it, "but it sounds like you dealt with it yourself in the end, so there is no sense in dwelling on it. It's over, finished. You can't change what happened - all you can do is not let it happen again." Orion's own life philosophy showing on the surface in plain speech a bit, a rare sight indeed. It was how he operated, how he made all of his decisions, never dwelling on the past or consequences, simply moving forward and tackling problems as they happened. He wasn't much of one for giving advice or anything though, so he stopped there.

Ahhhh the 'rewards' of friendship, well, there was always that. Those rewards came in many forms, some more rewarding than others. An eyebrow raised curiously in her direction, Orion couldn't help but wonder just what sort of benefits had come from her friendship with the man she had killed, but alas, those were details he would probably never know. But maybe that was for the better, since she didn't seem the type to be doing what the Crow found most interesting, so he would just leave it to his inner mind theatre to imagine what he wanted, and leave it at that.

Orion laughed dryly when the girl said that gold couldn't buy anything, turning to lean his back against the counter of the bar with his elbows propped up behind him, his stance confident, casual. "I beg to differ, mi'lady," he finally replied, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye, "There has yet to be a thing that I have wanted that gold cannot buy. Drink. Food. New armour. New blades. Boys. Girls. Gold is what makes the world turn, princess, whether you want to admit it or not." With that, he grabbed his drink from behind him and downed the rest of it, putting the tankard back onto the counter heavily. He somehow doubted she would like his answer but he didn't really care much about that. Perhaps she was too naive to see the world through his eyes, but maybe he would get the chance to teach her a lesson or two about it. If only he could be so lucky...

Her next words were by far the most intriguing ones yet, and Orion latched on to both them and to her tone when she said them. His dark gaze immediately snapped back to meet hers, his eyes flashing dangerously, mischievously. She may have never meant to get his attention so sharply but she had done it all the same. "A profession with dirty secrets then?" he prompted curiously, the corners of his mouth twitching upwards into a grin, "I will admit I know all about that. I'd be curious to hear more about yours though. I'm sure my imagination cannot even begin to do justice to whatever it is a pretty, Orlesian girl like you might have to hide." He offered her a full grin then, quite playfully himself and without shame as he slipped in that he had noticed her accent earlier, watching her carefully for her reaction and hoping maybe she would say a bit more....

Finally then she laughed, and Orion admittedly enjoyed the sound of it even though it was only a small laugh. And then, despite the shy look in her eyes when she spoke, her words became a bit more bold and only gave the assassin more confidence. So she wanted to know about him a bit then? Only fair, since he wanted to know about her. But she had called him well-dressed and bold - she certainly wasn't wrong there, but he still appreciated the commentary and it showed as his features lit up, a giddy, boyish grin on his face that made him look a bit younger than he was for a few moments. "Ah, indeed, I do have quite a few tales," he then said wistfully, happy to make himself sound like he lived an even more dramatic life than he did, and he hoped her mind would run with it a bit an exaggerate his meaning in a positive way. He paused for a moment, dramatically, before looking at her through dark, narrowed eyes. "Do you want to know one of my dirty secrets, princess?" he began with a low tone, his face wicked as he decided to just go ahead and tell this sweet, naive, and yet mysteriously dark and dangerous girl the truth in hopes of hooking her even further and making her say more about herself, "Ever heard of the Antivan Crows?" Of course she had, everyone had, but he asked all the same before giving her a dark, knowing smile and a slow nod before placing a finger over his lips in gesture for her to keep the information silent. He was sure even she could deduce the rest

PMEmail
^
Hex
 Posted: Jun 15 2014, 08:20 PM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

What a mess she'd managed to get herself into, it reminded her of the way things were when she first started out. A young, clueless girl, frequenting the dark places with her strange kindness and knack for trouble. Yet somehow, it had always worked out in the end.

Would this? Or would this stranger be a bane?

Who was to know, after all, he was making her feel like a little like her old self. Before this Seeker business. Could that be a bad thing? It was uncertain. Such thoughts were overturned by formulating a response, to his exaggerated comment regarding flirting.

"It's not that no one flirts, it's just..." she paused, decided briefly that honesty was the best policy. There were too many lies in her life, even the small ones were beginning to bother her. "That I don't notice when they do, apparently. Or when I do," Hex admitted, her cheeks still flushed with a bit of pink. A shy smile graced her face, brief and signature.

In truth, she was getting much better at identifying flirting. Especially after the brothel incident. But she really, really didn't want to even so much as think of that. If only the leader of the Coterie didn't practically live in a brothel. Then that never would have happened and Hex would be all the more innocent for it.

Trystan. Eyes turning to sadness, confusion, to the bench that was all of a sudden so interesting. Perhaps she'd be all the more innocent without his incursion into her life. Strangely, Orion's words snapped her out of the thought she'd been brooding in.

All you can do is not let it happen again. Oh, how familiar these words were.

"Such things are easier said then done. But good advice, from a stranger, no less. Or perhaps you will not be so strange. It's to early to tell," she said with a shrug, pausing to take another small sip of her ale. Not too much, or she'd be worse off for sure.

Philosophical musings on gold with a stranger now, that kind of a night was this going to be? A small frown crossed her delicate face, as his words on the matter were heard. "Gold cannot buy plenty of things. Loyalty for one, is difficult to buy, there is always a bigger fish. And someone willing to pay more than you. There also comes a time in which one cannot buy freedom and independence. Many, many variables influence, in fact, what you may have and what you cannot. A bottomless purse is irrelevant," she offered her own opinion on the matter, accepting a way to take her mind off things. There was nothing quite like debating moral values with beautiful strangers. "Of course, love cannot be bought, in a sense. Though I am told that is a subjective kind of subject," she proposed, attempting to sound far less naive than she really was. Love was so simple, so complicated, so beautiful. The only constant in her world. "And I am no princess, just a girl."

Though it was unfortunately likely that soon she'd be a Baroness. Perish the thought! The dark, handsome man curious about her secrets was certainly a welcome distraction. It was obvious now, she had his undivided attention. What would she learn from this stranger?

"But you seem like you have a good imagination. I'm sure you can think of a fantastical explanation for my secrets. The truth, might ruin the mystery. Perhaps it isn't as interesting as you think? I wouldn't want to disappoint." she spoke, though it was really an attempt to avoid the subject. To her, it was terribly romantic, this was perhaps conveyed by the faraway look in her eyes. Or perhaps not. A leader of a revolution, keeper of a most insane double life, an all too sudden and torrid affair that had swept her off her feet. A tyrant, a dark future. It was a tragedy in the making, a most romantic tragedy. Though she hoped with all of her heart that she could create some form of happiness for herself and her...Anders. They really needed a word for it all. "After all, it sounds your own profession must be the dangerous kind. To have knowledge of such secrets..."

This game of intrigue was pulling at her lips, she looked, in fact more coy than usual. With her curious eyes and a smile that hid her own secrets.

Though his telling was incredibly unexpected. Mesmerised, she watched him intently as the words left his lips. So many questions, for the very pretty black bird.

Adrienne's face fell, from an intrigued smile to a light frown. A slight pout, albeit unconscious.

"Oh. Well. This could be wonderfully fascinating or perhaps I should be running. Sodding Carta, last we crossed Jehan threatened to involve the Crows though I never believed he'd afford the expense...no, if you were here to kill me you wouldn't have revealed yourself so..." Again, she was rationalizing aloud. Abruptly she stopped, blushing and straightening her posture. Hands which had rested nervously on her tankard fell into her lap. "Excuse my ramblings, oh aren't you simply fascinating! I'll go with fascinating. Are those Antivan leather boots? Fascinating."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Orion Stormborn
 Posted: Jun 19 2014, 07:23 AM
27 posts
Antivan crow
Group Icon

Orion’s grin only widened when the young lady indulged his curiosity a bit about her experience with flirting with strangers and the like. So she was a bit naïve, that has just been entirely confirmed with her own words, at least on this sort of subject. And perhaps a bit oblivious, even when she was the one doing the flirting apparently. Like now, because some of the things she was saying, the way she was acting – whether she knew it or not, Orion was interpreting it as playful flirting. Not that he objected, but he was curious about whether she was even aware she was doing it or not. Whatever. He supposed that didn’t change anything and certainly wasn’t going to change how he acted.

“Does it help when someone is a gentleman like me and just tells you then?” Orion teased her, his voice low, eyes narrowed and dark even as his grin turned wicked. A gentleman, him? What a laugh. “You’re getting a bit flushed, you know,” he then pointed out in that same tone with a small nod in her direction. Oh, this was far too much fun.

There it was again, an illusion she was making towards some sort of continued relationship between them in some form or another. Not remaining a stranger? That was also very curious indeed. Most people that Orion met he quickly forgot about, spending time with them to have a chat, a drink, a bit of fun, and then he moved on to the next one. He was terrible at any sort of long term commitment, be it as friends, lovers, or even enemies. But with the right reasons, occasionally he could be persuaded to be one of those for a bit longer….

“Princess, we can be whatever you want,” Orion replied with a quick wink, still using that nickname for her despite being able to tell she didn’t seem to like it. He knew that, he just didn’t care and didn’t have anything else to call her. She was a pretty, somewhat refined, girl with secrets. Potentially unobtainable. Why not princess, then? Orion did then add with a more serious tone, “It is decent advice though, and that’s not something I usually give. Don’t let what happened slow you down, no one can afford to let that happen these days.” With that, he shrugged, serious moment over as quickly as it had occurred, as he ran a finger along the rim of his empty tankard. She was taking her own drink quite slowly, probably being cautious.

Orion didn’t have time for that, either.

As expected, she didn't agree with his views about gold and life values and all that, and he noted the frown on her face, though he did not reflect it with his own. Rather, as was usual for him, he reacted quite casually with a shrug and a wave of his gloved hand. “I’ve heard it all before, believe me, so spare me the lecture,” he replied coolly, though his cocky expression showed he was just being his usual difficult self and not displeased with her or anything, “I know all about the price of loyalty. Mine tends to come at quite a high price, I might add.” He laughed dryly then, but he was only half-joking if that. It certainly wasn’t far from the truth at all.

Orion’s features scrunched up rather boyishly when she mentioned love, and he suddenly wished he had another drink. He waved the barkeep over quickly, this time paying for the drink himself. What did this girl know about love? Probably nothing. But then she was proving hard to predict so maybe she knew more than he gave her credit for. He wondered briefly if she had ever been truly hurt by it, but the thought didn’t last long as he took the first long, appreciative drink of his ale. “I don’t believe in love,” he finally said after he swallowed, his tone a bit more wistful than he had wanted it to be and the words left a bit of a sour taste in his mouth. He finally frowned then for a moment, before quickly regaining his composure as smooth as ever. “Compared to me, you’re a princess,” he then jumped on her other argument quickly, grinning at her widely before feigning a tip of his non-existent hat. “Besides, you never gave me anything else to call you.”

The assassin raised an eyebrow at the woman’s suggestion that he just keep using his imagination to paint her life out for him, uncertain if she really wanted what she was asking. “Oh, my imagination is incomparable, I assure you of that,” he replied coyly, “but I’m not sure you really should trust me with that much power. You might not like what I come up with you know.” Cue another wink, yes, good, followed by a quick waggle of the eyebrows to emphasize his point. “And while I do love mysterious woman, one with an interesting story to tell can certainly be just as much fun.” He wasn’t the type to press someone for information, not when he wasn’t being paid to do so, but he was curious about this one so he was willing to press just a little bit. If he could charm some tales out of her, all the better.

Ah. Her reaction to his revelation of his profession was not exactly ideal, but Orion supposed it wasn’t unreasonable or beyond what he should have expected, either. And then she just started muttering about the Carta and some name Orion didn’t know and he just watched her through half-lidded eyes, trying to gauge what was making her act like this. Was she nervous? Afraid of him? Well, good, she really should be, but he had no intention of hurting her right now. And then…here to kill her? Was that was this was about? Orion tried to bite back his laughter but it sputtered out rather unflatteringly despite his efforts. "Princess, I don’t even know who you are, I’m not here to kill you,” he reassured her through his laughter, fingers combing back through his dark hair and carefully putting it all back where he wanted it. It certainly took a lot of effort to give oneself ‘just fucked’ hair all the time.

Once he regained his composure, though, Orion was ready to play again and his tone once more turned dangerous. “Should I be though?” he then asked her, mostly in jest though he was undeniably curious, but mostly he just wanted to see her reaction. “I mean, do you have a reason to have a Crow after you?” He leaned in a bit closer then, holding her gaze with his own unblinkingly, “Are you afraid of me?”

PMEmail
^
Hex
 Posted: Jun 25 2014, 06:11 PM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

To say the nights events were turning out to be quite unexpected would understating an awful lot. Was it good? Was it bad? Did it sit inside that eternal grey space of neither either or? Who could tell at that point? There weren't many established facts. Other than a sense of curiosity held by both parties. And of course, Hex's growing fondness for his voice.

"A gentleman? Gentlemen don't eavesdrop, as far as I'm told. Is that not how this conversation started?" she couldn't help but point out, ever startled by his comments. Indulging in her second favourite nervous habit, attempting to fix her slightly frazzled hair. His comments inspired further redness. "Flushed? It must be the ale..." Oh yes, the ale she'd had about three sips of. That was a likely cause.

The twists and turns in their conversation were certainly...curious. How two true strangers could broach such topics upon first meeting...it certainly touched upon the confusing notion of Hex's open-closed book nature. Trust and gold, love and advice. Ceaseless and shameless. It was puzzling at best. Quite the puzzlement, a perfect distraction from her easy lament. For most of their conversation a small smile rested on her face, until that is, the notion of disbelief in love. After all, in these trying times Adrienne was finding that love was perhaps the only thing she could believe in. So many of her kind turning to demons or worse...she gripped her plain tankard and took what was her first hearty swig of the night. Though naturally, her elegant fingers placed it back down rather timidly, a blush crossing her face. Again her gaze cast itself to the fascinating spectacle of dirt on the floor.

With a smile despite it all. "Oh, love. Love is a funny thing. It might surprise you one day," she flitted her ocean eyes back to his dark ones. "At least, I hope it does. Everyone deserves love." Oh Hex, the young girl in her spoke out as memories of a more recent design crossed her mind. Even her worst enemies deserved love in her opinion. It changes you.

At the waggling eyebrows and the suggestions of imagination she couldn't help but indulge in a different nervous habit, the slight biting down on one's lip. "Well, before I do any telling, I have to decide which name to give you," she confessed. Honestly was the best policy after all, and would it benefit her to introduce Hex or Adrienne? "In the hopes that I will not have to end up inventing a name for you as equally fitting in exchange for you calling me princess," a playful narrow of the eyes was given at the last word, adding to the mock threat. At this point she was near praising the maker for this perfect distraction. It was beginning to feel like a night off, a rarity in her circumstance. The only time she ever seemed to spend with friends was when she was working or when one of them was in mortal peril. Joy. Yet, here she was, seemingly making a new one. Until all the talk of killing surfaced, causing her to cross her legs sit a bit further back.

A light frown crossed her face as she was slightly startled by the Antivan before her. Taking a drink, from her tankard, she took a moment to compose herself, startled by both his closeness and the nature if her words. Did she have reasons to have a crow after her? Was there any real non life threatening way to answer that question? "Yes, many people have many alleged reasons to be rid of me. All rubbish, or course. I help people, it gets me into all sorts of trouble. I'll bet that puts a dampener on your imagination," A sigh left her lips as she spoke, or rambled, whatever, whichever. "Ever heard the name," she paused, lowering her voice, "Hex? It's both a curse and a blessing, truly," she rambled a little, alluding the hundred personas she wore on her lips and in her eyes.

Hex was a name known in the darker places of Kirkwall, held in many different lights. To most she was myth and rumour, the shadow of an organization that many thought non-existent. An apostate, the stories and rumours varied from horrific crimes to the a martyr and a saint. To some she was a symbol of hope, a dealer in resistance. To others, she was a meddling bitch stealing their assets, namely the Red Iron and a certain smuggling coalition. Not to mention the places in which she was an outright enemy, to those in the Carta...and of course the Chantry. Either way her purpose was clear. She was a worst-kept secret, on purpose of course.

Still, there was a chance her companion hadn't heard that name, if he hadn't been in Kirkwall long.

Shaking off, or rather attempting to, this awful sinking feeling, she took another swig before realizing she'd drained near her tankard dry. "Well, just in case, if you are ever hired to kill Hex, see me first, I'll pay you more than they will. Unless it's the Chantry, in that case I'm damned. Do the Chantry even abide by assassins? I should hope not. But you wouldn't kill me yet, Birdy. You're still so curious. As am I," she managed a shaky smile. This just wasn't her night, the half light of the tavern made that plain to her. As did the dangerous glint in the eyes of her darker company.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Orion Stormborn
 Posted: Jul 7 2014, 03:31 AM
27 posts
Antivan crow
Group Icon

At her accusation of eavesdropping - and worse yet, and not being a true gentleman! - Orion feigned offence with a gaping mouth and a hand gesturing to himself. It was clearly theatrical and overdone though, as the dark glint in his eyes never changed. "Me? Are you accusing me of eavesdropping? You simply were speaking loudly while standing right next to me, I think that hardly counts as eavesdropping and perhaps you owe me an apology now," he replied, before replacing his offended look with a more thoughtful one. "You'll just have to make it up me later now, won't you?" Oh, that deserved another wicked grin. And still, she was blushing more and more. He was affecting her whether she wanted to believe it or not, and Orion revelled in that knowledge - it was good to feel like this, and know that he could do this to her. "Ah, yes, the ale, of course," he responded with a knowing look, not hiding that he didn't believe her for a moment from his tone. "You've had so many tankards already, after all."

Orion's unwavering confidence actually faltered for a moment at the blonde woman's words about love. What was she saying to him? Surprise him one day? That she hoped he would find it? Wasn't she simply a fun stranger in the Hanged Man of all places quite late at night, someone for him to toy with and kill his loneliness with, so why was she saying things like this? These were not the sort of sentiments that strangers ever expressed towards Orion, especially because the look in her eyes was a genuine one. Did she really believe in love still, despite the world they lived in? "I--I didn't know anyone still genuinely believed in love," Orion muttered, actually stumbling over his words for a moment in a rare show of vulnerability as he dropped his gaze from her and into the depths of his drink as he absently swirled the dark brew around. "And even if it did exist - which it doesn't - everyone doesn't deserve it," he continued, his tone quite dark, more anger seeping into it than he meant to show her as he continued to stare into the depths of his tankard. "Not me. Maybe not anyone." He quickly shook his head, trying to recover and find his usual personality again but she had managed to get under his skin - quite an accomplishment indeed. It was those eyes - that look in those marine eyes...

The assassin curiously raised his eyebrows when the woman mentioned giving him a nickname himself since he had given her one that she apparently didn't like very much. "Oh? I'd be curious what you would decide to call me," he said casually, propping his head up in his hand by an elbow on the dirty bar as he watched her again. "I know you don't like it, but princess suits you more than you probably realize, at least to me," he then continued, his words as smooth as honey. He doubted she would like hearing that, but he didn't care - that was half the point of saying it after all.

"I'm not sure how much I trust your imagination, however," Orion then continued just as smoothly, meeting her gaze with a sceptical one himself. "And since you did ask earlier, my name is Orion - that would be oh-ree-on, feel free to fake a beautiful Antivan accent if it helps you pronounce it better. I get tired of hearing it mispronounced by all these Marchers and Fereldans." A sour look crossed his face at the memory for a moment, but it faded quickly. "but if you would prefer to call me something else - say, devilishly handsome or the like - I'll take that too, pending my approval." He grinned quite playfully before taking a large drink of his second ale. This stuff they brewed in Kirkwall was thick, dark, and heavy stuff. He hadn't liked it at first, but it was slowly growing on him, though he hadn't gotten a good grip on how it affected him yet...

Orion continued to listen with genuine curiosity and interest when the woman began to tell her a bit more about himself, revealing that she was indeed involved at least somewhat in events that might make her death desired by some people. That seemed quite usual for most people these days, but that didn't make this particular woman any less intriguing to him. His expression at first didn't change when she said her name, as he internally shifted through his memories to see if he could recall it - ah, and then, yes, he did remember it, and a dark smirk spread across his face. "I have indeed heard the name on a few occasions," he then said slowly, "though I admittedly do not know very much; I haven't been in Kirkwall very long. Most of what I have overheard a few times has certainly not been said in a positive tone though - if you're the Hex they're talking about, it seems you've been quite a naughty girl." And of course, he had to wink at that.

Finally giving her a bit of space, Orion leaned back from her a bit again - though he didn't go far, maintaining a closer distance than he had earlier to the woman he now knew to be Hex. This innocent looking, naive acting girl really was dangerous if she was the person that he had heard about talking to some other mercenaries and swords-for-hire that he drank with now and again, but that only made this game a lot more fun to play, and he wasn't about to let this go any time soon. "Lucky for you, though, you haven't pissed anyone off with enough money that they are willing to pay to hire such an expensive assassin as myself," he then said, not hiding the arrogance from his voice, "at least, not yet. You're going to have to try a bit harder."

And with that, he watched Hex finish her drink with a satisfied look on his face. "Next round is on me?" he offered her then, pulling a few silvers from somewhere unknown and slipping them and her empty tankard to the edge of the counter to be refilled. Her next words captured his attention even more if that was possible, and the grin on his face only grew wider and wider, as did the excited expression in his dark eyes. "Oh really?" he then asked her, caught up on her being willing to pay him gold to stay alive, "I will certainly keep that in mind. I have no deep love for killing, more for gold, so if you're willing to pay more to stay alive, then I can guarantee your safety." He shrugged, not realizing at all that that revealed quite questionable loyalties and loose commitments. "If you manage to pay more than the Crows though, I will be quite impressed."

Orion had to laugh at her mention of the Chantry, shaking his head. "If you've even got the Chantry after you, you've done even more than I've heard about," he said lightly. His laughter choked when she called him 'Birdy' though, and for the first time he gave her quite a genuine glare. "Don't call me that, princess," he replied darkly, a deep frown set on his face. It quickly disappeared though when he realized what she had said after - that she was still curious too. And of course he was, he wasn't going to pretend like he wasn't, he would never get any answers that way. "indeed I am," Orion responded with a purr, leaning towards her once more, "Seems like we are just going to have to spend more time together to answer all of this questions that keep coming up." Cue the mischievous glint in those dark eyes. "Just what is it you want to know, Hex?" There was something about how her name sounded on his lips that he liked, and he hoped he would get a chance to say it many more times.

PMEmail
^
Hex
 Posted: Jul 10 2014, 04:25 PM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

Nothing made Hex's eyes widen more than a slip in composure. Orion's words were dour, and sad. Very sad, to the young woman whose heart swelled at the very mention of love. Had this man been hurt? How had this conversation turned so very serious? It was a strange thing indeed, though strange and Hex mixed inexplicitly well. "I don't believe that. Everyone deserves to love and be loved. Love, which in fact does exist, believe me, is the most beautiful thing..." the minute she realised she was ranting, she stopped dead in her tracks. "How we even got here astounds me, the people one meets..."

Oh, conversation was conversation and an interesting one at that. This dark and handsome man before her was certainly an oddity, in that way the two were suited. Accents, accents, this Orion never ceased to amaze her with the strange things that came out of his mouth. She supposed for a moment some people felt the same about her.

"Hmm, are you tired of Orlesians? My Antivan accent would shame me in comparison to yours, so Orlesian it is...Orion," she tested it out, not bother to hide the Orlesian tones. In fact it was practically full fledged Orlesian, Orrheeon, strange accent on the H, her native tongue. One she'd rather forget. But Orion. On her tongue he, or rather his name, felt quite natural, she liked it. Though she though her nickname for him more amusing. "Oh, but I think I like my name for you better." A grin, a cheeky grin that made her feel like a naughty little girl. She was never very good at nicknames, 'love' for Anders and 'grumpy' for a certain dour boy she'd encountered in Darktown. Though she felt she'd really done well with this new found one.

Though the next topic was a serious one, his words were still as light as ever. What is his game? She could not help but to wonder, such a being was so foreign to her. He wasn't like the usual sellsword. No, he had flair and a certain boldness, a thirst for something she couldn't quite place.

"Me? A naughty girl? If you're refering to the rumours, I don't bathe in priest's blood and I've never even been inside the Blooming Rose so how could I be running a demon cut there? However these rumours circulate, I do not know...Oh, I do so I wonder who you've been talking to" she expressed, though she knew. Mercenaries. "The Red Iron? They dislike me for my people skills, I persuaded one of their accomplished member to join my cause." she paused and thought to Niall, it had been far too long since she had seen her favourite barbarian. Ah, the people you meet at the Hanged Man. "The Carta? I rehabilitate their members on occasion, free young indentured servants from a life in the gutter. But if it's the Chantry, then I see your point," she divulged a snippet of information, nothing more than common knowledge and a picture of her life that was neither complete nor completely to the point.

"Lucky for you, though, you haven't pissed anyone off with enough money that they are willing to pay to hire such an expensive assassin as myself, at least, not yet. You're going to have to try a bit harder."

The young blonde, who'd moved back a little, near spat out the dregs of her ale. How did he manage to stay so confident all the time? What a bold assumption, too. Not truthful, at all.

"You don't know my nemesis," she said flatly, her thoughts dwelling in places she'd rather have them visit. A certain vicious Seeker with a heart of stone and purses far deeper than Hex's own. "She's practically got her own private army. It's this...moniker that keeps me alive and off the pyre." An exaggeration, if only slightly. A entourage of Nevarran Death Guards was certainly a an army in it's own way. Frightening creatures. As for why no assassins had been sent after her, she couldn't answer. Perhaps they had been stopped before they got to her, she could be rather hard to track down, after all.

The next round? "Well I suppose one more could hurt, much obliged," she commented, eager to sink back into this fascinating whirlwind of conversations. Death, enemies, assassins. Fascinating. And he didn't know about the Chantry? Then did he know she was a mage? This was getting interesting.

"I've done a lot of things, it depends who you talk to. What you're looking for. Which side you're on. Fascinating variables," she spoke quickly, eager to turn this conversation on it's head. Her desire was to know about Orion. That was what she wanted to know. What questions she had to ask, an Antivan Crow was sitting right beside her. This was an opportune moment if any existed!

Questions, questions. Would she get any answers? "Oh, I want to know several things. What's a Birdy such as yourself doing in a place such as this? Kirkwall, for a start, then deeper. Are you blackbirds not famed for your expensive tastes? Who are you to kill? Who have you killed? What horrors have you seen? Just how expensive are you? It's a dreadful thing to be a curious girl, people say it's going to get me killed one day. But I digress."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Orion Stormborn
 Posted: Jul 17 2014, 08:31 AM
27 posts
Antivan crow
Group Icon

Orion frowned as the woman continued to argue with him on a subject he really didn't want to argue about, insisting that love was real and that everyone did deserve it - complete rubbish, of course. Typically he liked being difficult and arguing even just for the sake of the argument but this wasn't a subject he cared to do that with so much. Besides, she sounded so incredibly naive about it that it made him feel a bitter taste in his mouth; he had never met someone who thought about love the way that she did. Maybe he was jealous? Not possible, why would he be jealous of her ridiculous feelings on the subject? Time to turn this particular strain of conversation away from him and in a direction where he had more control. "Are you in love with someone then?" Orion abruptly cut her off to ask, forcing her gaze to hold his as he narrowed his eyes. This would either make her change the subject, or turn the conversation back to herself and away from his opinion on it, he assumed. "You're speaking like you have quite a bit of experience on the subject."

Ahhhhh....admittedly, Hex's Orlesian accent saying his name was very, very nice. Nicer than he had expected. Should he admit that though? But the Orlesian way of speaking was much closer to his own Antivan style, much closer than Fereldans or Marchers could ever be. They always sounded so harsh, rough, and sharp - nothing beautiful, or romantic, like their neighbours did. Orion was, for the millionth time in his life, thankful to be Antivan despite everything he had gone through in his past. "I think I could get used to hearing you say that, actually," Orion purred in response, eyes half-lidded as he recalled the way she had said his name again. Yes, yes, that was quite nice indeed. "Perhaps I'll have to give you more reasons to say it again." The moment darkened a bit though when she continued by saying she liked the nickname she had given him better. Immediately his eyes snapped back open in a sharp glare and he quickly shook his head. "Well, I don't like it," he replied, lower lip jutting out a bit in a boyish pout.

Sure, she didn't like his nickname for her either, but Orion had never been one for playing fair. And he was nothing if not incredibly selfish.

Orion listened carefully as Hex began dispelling a lot of rumours that he had actually never heard but were definitely quite interesting, and by the end of her rant, he was laughing. He couldn't help it, most of it sounded completely ridiculous and yet he did not have a hard time believing that the people of Kirkwall would weave together such tales all the same. From what he had experienced of this city so far, it didn't take much of a stretch of the imagination. "I must say, it's disappointing to hear that none of that is true," Orion said through his laughter, the sound of it quite natural and real - it really was hilarious to him. Once he had recovered, he took a quick drink to regain his dignity before continuing, wanting to know more about a few of the latter things she had mentioned - and what was this about never being inside the Blooming Rose? He would have to tuck that information away for later. "Your cause though?" he finally asked her with raised eyebrows. "In my experience, people that claim to have a cause are usually quite dangerous, and quite irritating when they manage to get on everyone's nerves." He didn't ask further, but the look on his face was clearly a curious one, leaving her room to say more if she wished to. But for now at least, he wasn't going to pry that subject farther for fear of her taking it as an opportunity to use it as a soapbox and tell him more than he really wanted to know.

"You do seem to like making friends and enemies of dangerous people," Orion then observed with a slight shake of his head, "Myself included, if I must say, though I understand the temptation with me and what keeps you around." He smirked and raised a knowing eyebrow for a moment before continuing, "I can see why you end up in the sort of mess you were in when we started this conversation though. You're not just another woman trying to make her way through Kirkwall, are you." It was a statement, not a question, and he paused for a moment with a thoughtful look. "The Chantry though?" he finally said slowly, "Play with fire...." he trailed off with a shrug, knowing he didn't need to finish that sentence for her to know his point. He wasn't one for lecturing people after all, and he was hardly the right person to do it considering his own lifestyle. Just what was she doing with the Chantry that had them hating her so much though?

A sudden realization struck Orion then - mages. It had to have something to do with mages. He tried to remember if he had ever heard the name Hex associated with magic, but he couldn't recall anything specific. But this entire city seemed to only talk about mages and blood magic and the Circle all the time, so he wouldn't be surprised if she was involved in that somehow. Great. He didn't have a lot of experience dealing with mages since they usually dealt with one another, or were dealt with by the Templars, but he supposed it was only a matter of time in this place. Maybe that time was now.

How was it that this woman continued to be more and more intriguing to him? She had clearly moved in his analysis from just another pretty face in the tavern as their conversation had progressed, but Orion could have never predicted all the things she was saying now. What was this about a nemesis with a private army and all this nonsense? What had Hex done - or what was she doing, was more likely - that warranted that sort of enemy? The assassin absently raked his fingers through his messy hair in thought, considering all the things she was telling him. "From the sounds of it, you certainly know how to make enemies," he then said coolly, his tone serious for a moment before lightening back up to more of a playful tease again with, "Should I be worried about my own neck since I've been talking to you for so long? Because an assassin with assassins after him never ends well for everyone - lots of blood and ruined clothes and wasted time." Genuinely, he wasn't very concerned and was quite certain he could handle himself, but something in the back of his mind was telling him that he was learning too much and he was only a few steps away from ending up involved in something he shouldn't be involved in....

....and he promptly told that small voice to shut up and let him continue to talk to his attractive, dangerous, paradoxical blonde woman sitting next to him.

And then suddenly after all this information had been revealed about her, the conversation was turned full circle back towards Orion. And while on some level he liked to talk about himself, he had not been expecting the barrage of questions he was suddenly assailed with from the strange woman - who was still using that horrid nickname for him, he noted - and for a moment he simply stared at her, slowly blinking, before letting out a low whistle. "I've certainly captured your fancy, haven't I?" Orion then said with a smirk, swirling his drink around in the tankard a bit before taking a drag of it, "But I have only myself to blame for being so devilishly handsome and intriguing so I cannot hold you accountable for that. You have quite a lot of questions, that's for certain. I did say I would answer them, though, and while I will not lie and say I am a man of my word, I will tell you a bit - if only because you have such beautiful eyes." He met her gaze then with his usual intense one, grinning, before sorting through what she had asked him and deciding what he would actaully tell her.

"I'm in Kirkwall on business, as you might have imagined. I'm not sure how long I'll be staying in this city, but as long as the Crows keep sending me jobs and money, and they don't run out of pleasure and drink at this tavern, I'll be here for a while. At the moment, I'm waiting on my next assignment, which I am hoping shows up any day now as I'm beginning to grow bored and that never ends well for anyone." He laughed a bit dryly at himself then, but it had been a statement all too true. "If you want to know who I've killed or more details on that, you'll have to get me a lot more drunk and make it worth my while to tell those sorts of stories," he then continued with a shrug and a knowing look, though the look in his eyes was quite a dark one that disappeared almost as quickly as it had shown itself.

"As for my price? Well. That depends on how much I like you. But typically - my price is whoever is willing to pay me the most." And that was certainly the most true statement, though again he laughed after saying it. The ale was starting to make him find even more things amusing than normal, but he didn't mind. His senses remained sharp, and that was what mattered; he wasn't going to complain about being in a better mood, after all. "Does that satisfy you a bit, my curious princess?"

PMEmail
^
Hex
 Posted: Aug 15 2014, 03:58 AM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

At the sudden turn of the subject, Adrienne surfaced from her thoughts in a deep blush. Was she in love with someone? Yes, a man with honey coloured eyes. A man, when she was just a girl but it didn't matter. Then again, the love she spoke of was more than kisses and words. And still she struggled to meet Orion's intense gaze. What about love was do hard to convey? "It was more of a theory than anything...but yes, I suppose I am....and I have been." Amidst her soft words there was the wondering of why, why indeed was she divulging such things to this stranger? What a wonderfully odd exchange.

So far, it was just to her liking, aside from the morbidity the talk of love and death seemed to instill in them both.. Even the pout on his face as he protested the new nickname was not entirely uplifting. 

"You don't like it? Good, then that's fair, isn't it Orion? I don't like Princess, you don't like Birdy, everyone loses, huzzah!" she rambled, her tongue far looser and tone far more morbid that it should have been. Both the ale and the dead friends rearing the respective ugly and attractive heads.

Rumours, rumours, what rumours would this start? None, she hoped, as she was not Adrienne l'Angewyn, and had managed to convince several informants that Hex was a Ferelden woman with dark brown hair and a scar in a certain place. How long would it last, though? As long as her ale, recently refilled by her fine new friend, perhaps. Rumours were a sullen subject.

Naturally, she smiled despite herself. Despite the strange rumours she put to rest, and words of her newfound companion. "I continue to disappoint, did I not warn you of the unimaginative truth? Indeed I have a cause, I fight against oppression. Preaching doesn't make one any friends, and as you have so observed, I like making dangerous friends. Less so to the enemies, but that can't be avoided," Hex mused, absentmindely twisting a strand of her golden hair as her gaze drifted for a moment. "And for the record, it's really more curiosity and opportunity. Than temptation." In the last sentence her eyes snapped back to the pools of darkness that were his own. Adrienne certainly didn't want what she was beginning to think that he thought she wanted. Or was he simply toying with her? As previously addressed, she could never tell. Was the innocence not clear as daylight in those ocean eyes? Even in the half light of the dying night. Amidst the coo of the lethargic bard. Some things never changed.

What did this assassin know of playing with fire? A lot, Adrienne had gathered, perhaps more than she. Well not literally, perhaps, as the Mage had played with a slight bit of fire but in other ways, Orion seemed more cut out for it. With a swig and a sigh, she replied. "Yes, I know, play with the Chantry and you end up with a dead Templar in a tavern room," she finally confessed to her dirty secret, her voice low as she leant closer to her companion. Closer than decency would hazard, for the moment of her speech before pulling back. She wasn't really thinking straight, her brain was in fact beginning to swim in words and fog. "But some things can't be helped. It's my duty to see these things through, my calling," again, she trailed off. Carefully listening to whatever else this man had to say. Each word, she weighed with her tipsy analysis, and replied as she could. 

"Your pretty neck as as safe as Hex's," Did I just call him pretty? "Those who know my face often forget they'd seen it, and you'll find my alias is attributed to many descriptions. It's the girl behind the mask that has to worry. And you needn't concern yourself with her," she rambled, her mouth to brain and vice versa filter suffer degradation via the ingestion of alcoholic substances. A dreadful business really. The lovely lightweight didn't know what to do with herself.

At least his shockingly arrogant words made her giggling. Hex thought it all an act, of course, which it could have well been. Although was that observation intelligence or naivety?

"Oh, it isn't difficult to 'capture my fancy', all one needs is a good story. Or a decent splash of mystery. You have both, it's fascinating, how can I resist to ask?" she explained her reasoning with another small laugh, feeling a little warm and at ease. A certain face forgotten.

A slight blush crossed her cheeks as he spoke the last few words. Beautiful eyes? The eyes she saw in the mirror didn't seem so beautiful. Orion however, he was definitely handsome, but devilishly so? To be demonically handsome could not possibly be a good thing, could it? 

Instead of a quip or some naive way of speaking, she met his words with a thoughtful gaze and eager ear, drinking in all he had to offer and filing it away. It wasn't much at all, but more than she'd expected! Fascination overtook, as well as opportunity.

A smile danced across her face. "Fascinating," she said, almost involuntarily. "Well, I've no desire to inebriate you further for the sake of information. It can be dangerous for people in deadly professions to get talking, and I'd hate to ruffle anyone's feathers," she said with a smile despite herself. Ale, was definetly not a good thing. Nor were loose tongues. Or misfiring wordplay disasters. "Oh do pardon the pun, it wasn't intentional."

Even with the ale swimming around her mind, Hex could see an opportunity for resolution. For trouble. For mutual benefit. Having a Crow on her good side? It was all making sense, all the pieces clicking in her brain. And this talk of boredom...

"Well, this may be the ale talking, but if you ever do get bored, I could use a man of your skill to help deal with a certain Carta problem," she offered a suggestion. It was becoming far too suspicious, all the bodies burned and frozen, death by magic. Of any kind the Templars could suspect. The Underground dealing with the Carta was hindering them more than it helped. "As for payment, rest assured my funds are sufficient...More than any enemy I'd send you after, after hearing your terms." Adrienne rambled ever so slightly, expressing the good-bad-good idea that had clicked in her mind. How fascinating, how interesting, this dark night and dark eyed stranger were.  "And I could always tell Corff, your drinks are on me...but that doesn't make me your princess!"

Had she given enough of a taste to reel him it? Not that the baiting was intentional. Just Hex being Hex.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Orion Stormborn
 Posted: Aug 27 2014, 07:23 AM
27 posts
Antivan crow
Group Icon

Bah, love. Orion listened to Hex speak about how apparently she was in 'love' with someone and even had been before, and it was all he could do to keep from rolling his eyes. He knew that most people did not share his opinion on love, that it wasn't real and didn't actually exist, especially not for people like him, but it didn't stop him from getting irritated when people talked about it like this. Like it was some grand goal that they were trying to achieve, and like it was something that everyone should be concerned about - because what did that say about him, who wasn't in the least bit interested? Right? He had no interest in love, and he never had. He had never experienced it and never would. Did that mean he was missing out on some critical part of the human experience like everyone seemed to think he was? Of course not, that was a ridiculous thought. Unconsciously, Orion's hands had formed into fight fists as these thoughts poured through his mind and Hex spoke, and he only came back to reality when he felt his fingernails biting sharply and painfully through the calloused skin of his palms. He immediately loosened his grip, casting his gaze into his drink and away from the woman. "Well, good for you then," he simply muttered, for once not having any better of a response to give. His probing question had done what he had wanted it to and shifted the conversation away from himself at least, so he had to just be satisfied with that.

Thankfully her next comment made him snort a bit with laughter, and he shook his head. "Maybe we should strike a deal about these nicknames then - I'm not a man that is entirely impossible to bargain with," he replied with a grinning smirk, amused by her reaction and the tone that her voice had taken. Maybe the ale was starting to affect her a bit, but whatever it was, he quite liked it. "As a matter of fact, I'm a man whose life is based on bargain. So what say you - as much as it pains me to not call you princess, should we drop the nicknames?" While Orion was not extremely secretive about his profession, he also did not care to declare from the rooftops to just anyone he was a Crow - anyone could be his next target, after all, and it was better if the city of Kirkwall was not just completely ready for him. And while it would be by chance that anyone would figure it out, hearing an Antivan man of his appearance being referred to as 'birdy' might make a sharper mind put two and two together, and he wasn't keen on dealing with that.

Orion made a tisking sound at Hex when she called herself a disappointment, quickly shaking his head. "I never called you disappointing, you know," he then corrected her pointedly, turning his charms up a little bit more, "I simply said that all of those rumours not being true was a bit disappointing, because I will admit, they were quite good ones. You shouldn't let people know they aren't true, for future reference. But more to the point, you've been far from a disappointment yourself - more of a....curious surprise." He offered her the quickest of genuine smiles before it quickly disappeared back into his cocky smirk, raising the question of whether it had ever actually been there or simply been a figment of one's imagination.

His voice then took on a more serious tone. "Oppression, though, eh?" he began, tone a bit more drawling and he swirled his drink around in it's tankard, staring into the dark and mysterious depths, "In this city, you're either fighting for everyone living in it's underbelly - or you're fighting for mages." He glanced sideways out of the corner of his eye when he said the options, hoping to gage her reaction one way or the other. If she didn't just tell him, hopefully his quick wit and keen sense of observation would pick up the truth. Unless she was completely able to hide it - that wouldn't be that surprising at this point, really. Despite her naivety, if her stories were true, this girl had been through a lot and was currently involved in some heavy stuff, and Orion didn't think she was lying to him about that. The mask she wore might be quite thick. He simply gave her his trademark smirk in response to her comment being this wasn't about temptation - and let her interpret that however she wanted to.

Orion's gaze snapped back to Hex fully when she finished his cliché for him about the Chantry, eyebrows arching in something between being surprised and being impressed. "You killed a Templar?" he asked her with a low voice before letting out a low whistle. "You are playing a very, very dangerous game indeed, though you don't need someone like me to tell you that," he then continued more casually with a shrug of his shoulders. If she had bested a Templar though that did say something to her levels of skill, and her commitment to whatever her mysterious cause was.... "I personally charge double for killing authority figures," he then added as an afterthought, giving her a knowing look. He knew she had done it for whatever her cause was, and felt the need to point out the difference between them.

Did she just call him pretty? Oh well, she was only stating the obvious, clearly, though 'pretty' wasn't exactly Orion's first choice adjective but he would take it if it was offered to him. "So just don't give you a personal reason to want me dead and I should be pretty safe?" Orion then asked with overly feigned innocent on his voice as he gestured towards himself. "I'll have to be sure to step lightly, then," he then grinned and winked and gave a short laugh. Well, at least just talking to her in the tavern wasn't going to get assassins sent after him or something, that was a relief, but that just sounded like an unnecessary bother he really didn't feel like dealing with right now.

Hex listened to what little Orion revealed to her rather intently, and the assassin had to admit that he really enjoyed the attention she was paying him - in fact, he was drinking it up. Sure, he had been chatting to generally everyone since coming to Kirkwall, but most of his conversations had not lasted this long before they had changed their form into a game of gambling, a fight, or something more carnal. No one had cared to ask him about things like this, and though he wasn't about to tell his relative stranger much more than he just had, it was nice to have a listening ear. Talking was one thing Orion did best and was one of his favourite past times, but it was certainly better with an active listener. He couldn't help but visibly beam a bit when she called him fascinating, and did nothing to hide the pleased look on his face. Of course he found his own life fascinating, but it was always nice when someone else did as well. Her pun that followed made a sour pout cross his face quickly though, and his eyes narrowed at her. "You seem to quite enjoy making all these bird references," he pointed out a bit childishly, "and I'm not sure I believe you that it was an accident." Realizing he was pouting a bit and that wasn't extremely becoming, he quickly regained his composure. "You told me about your 'cause' a bit, so it was only fair," he then replied coolly, forcing himself to return to his more casual and suave, less boyishly proud and easily hurt, self.

Everyone had their own masks.

Orion's attention was once again peaked when Hex started talking about - was this a job offer? The Carta was not something new for him to deal with, though he had generally avoided them since coming to Kirkwall, but he was not above messing with them at all. Dangerous enemies were always the most satisfying and entertaining, after all. And she did mention funds....and free drinks. Two of Orion's three favourite things. "Are you making me an offer?" he then asked her, the intrigue clear both in his expression and his tone, "because I'm always bored, and I'm always interested in gold and ale." Not his princess, heh. Maybe not but maybe he could change her mind sometime.

PMEmail
^
Hex
 Posted: Sep 16 2014, 11:23 PM
145 posts
Adrienne
Group Icon

A topic that brought a glow to her smile and a flush to her cheeks seem to agitate Orion, in a serious manner. It was curious, fascinating even, and so it was quickly dropped. Nicknames too, were in the discard pile it seemed. Although Adrienne wasn't too fond of that idea. Perhaps, she enjoyed the colourful names, more than she was letting on.

"I'm not one for making promises I can't keep. Lying is not a specialty of mine," she said, smiling despite herself. It was a skill she found herself needing to learn more and more each day. "However I suppose I can settle for a temporary truce, if that is to your liking,"

For his next grand notion, he detailed his fondness for the rumours and the way she was a 'curious surprise'. Hex found yet again a slight flush in her cheeks, more at the look in his eyes than anything else. That dark and most intense gaze, coupled with such a smirk and smile...she wasn't used to it. To such mystery, in what could have been a casual setting. Not quite meeting his gaze, she spoke. Softly. "There seem to be a lot of those in the Hanged Man. From whatever is in the stew, to the rumours to the people met. Curious surprises, that is. Although I've never been called such." A bemused and gentle smile crossed her face, lighting up those deep blue eyes, as she met his gaze again. "It's an oddity. Almost as odd as your attributing being said to bathe in the blood of virgin Chantry initiates as a positive thing. It's rather far from the truth," she rambled slightly, as was her habit to do so. "Also, mildly disturbing." Yes, disturbing indeed. The closest thing to an initiate she'd killed was a Templar. They were hardly saints, and it was always for a good reason.

"Several, and all for good reasons. Hardly a game, yet fraught with danger," she answered what may have been rhetorical as she absentmindedly toyed with a rogue ringlet of golden hair. Several was probably an understatement. Once, she and those she was aiding escape fought an entire patrol, and emerged victorious, albeit with losses suffered. He was right, it was indeed a dangerous game. As much as she hated to compare it, so trivially. It had darkened her looks, in the half light, until his afterthought again changed the ever shifting mood of the evening back to something reminiscent of utterly fascinating. A curious expression crossed her face as it was remembered, the Antivan before her was indeed not a threat. An objective and seemingly interested party, more like. "It seems here in the City Of Chains, one can't turn a corner without facing some form of authority. You must be making a killing," she replied, not even so much as picking up on the meaning behind her own words. It was accidental. Entirely, not even a giggle was present in her eyes, until the next words left his lips.

Another smile, she bit down on her lip to suppress a laugh. Old habits. He was so...amusing? Or playful perhaps was a better word, strangely playful in a way that she supposed was not entirely light. All this talk of killing.

Sinister, though? Hardly. Not yet. And nor was she, instead for once relishing in the part she played. As if the whole night would be inconsequential. Two parts alcohol, one part...curiosity? Yes, you could call it that. "Oh, you don't have to worry about me," she said, her eyes flitting to the floor quickly, then back to Orion. "It'd have to be a very good reason. And I can hazard a guess that you enjoy killing far more than I do, so it's really no concern." Another smile, how many smiles had she spent this night? The most since that night, she assumed. It really was a matter of getting too much enjoyment out of playing the part of Hex with this fantastical stranger. This mysterious stranger.

Whom shed light on some of the more pressing mystery. Listening intently, drinking in every word, took her turn to ramble and let the alcohol get the best of her mind not long after he'd done. This fascinating bird of hers.

"Believe me Orion, 'twas a terrible mishap. The more I drink the less of a filter there is between mouth and mind, more words too. Combine that with the affliction of being an utter lightweight...and my being tipsy is good for no one. Hence, I don't usually drink at all," she rambled slightly. What a strange night it had been. Out came the proposition, and then, then there was no turning back.

A light sound of her left, a lazy hum as she suppressed another smile. She would be a straight faced businesswoman, if it killed her. Regardless of whether the deal was a good idea. "Yes, I think I am. If gold and ale is the price, there is a lot of potential. I could set you up on my tab, provide you with finances. If you help out with some re-occurring problems and such, it might ease your boredom somewhat. The specifics, we can work out," she offered, with the usual expressive hand gestures, as animated as ever. Perhaps even more so, given the light buzz in her brain. The Orlesian in her accent was hard at work, due to the gradual loss of control.

"Dangerous friends can be good for business, no?"

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

skin by lauz of shine and candyland couture.